Inspection Basics: Checklist
- Structural: construction of walls, ceilings, floors, roof and foundation.
- Exterior: Wall coverings, landscape, grading, elevation, drainage, driveways, fences, trim, doors, windows, lighting, etc.
- Roof and Attic: framing, ventilation, roof construction, gutters, etc.
- Plumbing: pipe materials, drain, waste, vent pipes, condition, toilets, showers, sinks, traps. (Usually does not include sewer)
- Systems and Components: water heaters, furnaces, air conditioning, ducts, chimney, fireplaces, and sprinklers.
- Electrical: main panel, circuit breakers, wiring, grounding, exhaust fans, receptacles, and light fixtures.
- Appliances: dishwasher, range and oven, microwaves (built-in), garbage disposals, smoke detectors.
- Garage: slab, walls, ceiling, vents, entry, firewall, doors, lights, receptacles, exterior, windows and roof.
Questions to ask your Inspector:
- What do they inspect/not-inspect?
- What instruments are used?
- What professional affiliations or memberships/licensing does the inspector possess?
- How many inspections have they conducted?
- What type of report is submitted?
- Is the inspector involved in any other business that might create a conflict of interest?